Dogs embarrass Souths in 42-12 NRL blowout

South Sydney coach Michael Maguire has refused to blame the dreaded five-day turnaround for the 42-12 Good Friday hiding they copped from Canterbury.

长沙夜网

A Rabbitohs outfit minus star Sam Burgess had their underbelly exposed by the Bulldogs, with a mauling that included six tries inside the opening 30 minutes at ANZ Stadium.

But on the same day the NRL agreed to fund extra provisions to teams coming off short turnarounds, Maguire didn’t use last Sunday’s effort against St George Illawarra as an excuse.

Of the six teams to back up after just five days, only North Queensland have won, although they were also facing off against a team with the same turnaround.

Instead, Maguire chose to lay into his men for failing to aim up in defence.

“Nothing at all there, nothing at all. I have a team in there that can perform better than what we did. It’s up to us to make sure we do,” he said.

“At the end of the day it’s a game where you’ve got to put your body in front and we didn’t do that in the first half.”

All the damage was done in a brutal opening 40 minutes that Channel Nine commentator Phil Gould labelled “the most one-sided game we’ve seen in a long, long time”.

In front of crowd of 38,192, the Bulldogs romped to a 32-0 lead at the break, including two tries to centre Josh Morris in his 200th game.

His second try came when Rabbitohs forward Paul Carter bizarrely attempted to offload the ball while being driven back into his in-goal.

Morris simply had to put his hand on the ball for the try.

Captain James Graham’s 140 metres in the first half alone equalled South Sydney’s entire starting forward pack, while second-rower Tony Williams wasn’t too far behind him with 123.

“It was obviously a good bounce-back for us but Souths had a few out. They were down on troops today,” coach Des Hasler said.

“You have those halves of footy – the second half was sloppier. But we controlled the possession well and that certainly contributes. I’ve said a number of times, this competition is about possession.”

The Rabbitohs added some respectability with back-to-back tries in the second half, outscoring the Bulldogs 12-10, however an upset Maguire didn’t want to claim any positives.

“At the end of the day we weren’t performing well enough in the first half. Our game’s about putting your body in front,” he said.

“We allowed them to roll down the park. They got control, built pressure and sure enough scored some pretty soft tries.”

Trump, Cruz feud over wives draws rebuke

The escalating personal feud between US Republican presidential candidates Donald Trump and Ted Cruz over their spouses has drawn criticism from a top lawmaker.

长沙夜网

“Talk about things that people really care about, and knock this crap off because these are serious times, and you’re not behaving like you want to be president of the United States,” Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, who supports Cruz, said on Thursday on NBC’s Today show.

Earlier this week, an anti-Trump Super PAC, Make America Awesome, published an ad featuring a photo of Trump’s wife Melania lounging nude.

Trump in reply threatened to “spill the beans” on Cruz’s wife.

But Cruz denies anything to do with it and tweeted: “Donald, real men don’t attack women. Your wife is lovely, and Heidi is the love of my life.”

Republican frontrunner Trump won Arizona and Cruz took Utah in the latest state primary contests.

Attacking another candidate’s wife carries political risk.

Half of US women say they have a “very unfavourable” view of Trump, according to Reuters/Ipsos polling in March.

Cruz fared better, with 24 per cent of the 5000 women surveyed saying they had a “very unfavourable” view of him.

The Democratic front-runner, Hillary Clinton, did worse than Cruz but better than Trump, with 36 per cent of women polled saying they had a “very unfavourable” view of her.

After Tuesday’s contests, Trump has 739 of the 1237 delegates needed to win the nomination, according to The Associated Press.

Cruz had 465 and Ohio Governor John Kasich, who has only won his home state, has 143.

Republican candidates are looking for endorsements from the dozen or so candidates who have dropped out of the race ahead of the convention in Cleveland in July.

On Wednesday, Cruz won the backing of former rival Jeb Bush.

The next Republican contests are on April 5 in Wisconsin and on April 9 in Wyoming.

Family mourns mother’s death in Brussels

It was supposed to be a family reunion, but it ended in tragedy in Brussels.

长沙夜网

Adelma Tapia Ruiz of Peru – on her way to New York to visit her sisters – was waiting on Tuesday with her Belgian husband and their three-year-old twin daughters at Brussels Airport when a terrorist’s bomb went off.

Her husband and one daughter were unharmed, and the other suffered a shrapnel injury to one arm.

But the 36-year-old wife and mother was dead.

Related reading

The little girls were very lucky, said Tapia’s brother Fernando Tapia Coral.

“The girls were probably running through the hall and my sister’s husband was running after them.

“If they hadn’t been playing around, they would have been dead too,” he told Peruvian broadcaster Canal N.

“My sister stayed in the waiting area, where the suicide attack happened,” he said.

Tapia Ruiz was from the Ucayali region in eastern Peru.

Related reading

She had been living in Belgium for nine years, according to the El Comercio newspaper, and been married to Belgian Christophe Delcambe for the last eight.

She was a cook and wanted to open a restaurant in Belgium, Radio broadcaster RPP reported.

After a stop in New York, the family had planned to continue on to Peru, where Tapia Ruiz and Christophe had first met and later got married.

She hadn’t been back to Peru in a year, her father Fernando Tapia Cano, told the newspaper La Republica.

“We could no longer bear not seeing each other,” he said.

Writing on Facebook, her brother said: “It is still hard to understand how fate can rip a loved one from us.

“She did not survive the Jihadist attack. That we will never be able to understand.

“Rest in peace, little sister. We all have to be strong now.

“It is hard to accept that we will no longer see you in the short life that you had.”

France fines Google over data privacy

The French data protection authority has fined Google 100,000 euros ($A148,590) for not scrubbing web search results widely enough in response to a European privacy ruling.

长沙夜网

The only way for Google to uphold the privacy ruling was by delisting results popping up under name searches and linking them instead to outdated information across all its websites, the Commission Nationale de l’Informatique et des Libertes (CNIL) said in a statement on Thursday.

The US internet giant has been at loggerheads with several European Union data protection authorities since the European Court of Justice ruled in May 2014 that people could ask search engines, such as Google and Microsoft’s Bing, to remove inadequate or irrelevant information – dubbed the “right to be forgotten”.

Google complied, but only scrubbed results across its European websites such as Google.de in Germany and Google.fr in France on the grounds that to do otherwise would have a chilling effect on the free flow of information.

In May last year, the CNIL ordered Google to expand its application of the ruling to all its domains, including Google长沙桑拿按摩论坛,, because of the ease of switching from a European domain to Google长沙桑拿按摩论坛,.

“Contrary to Google’s statements, applying delisting to all of the extensions does not curtail freedom of expression insofar as it does not entail any deletion of content from the internet,” the CNIL said.

A spokesman for Google, now a unit of holding company Alphabet Inc, said the company had worked hard to implement the “right to be forgotten ruling thoughtfully and comprehensively in Europe”.

“But as a matter of principle, we disagree with the CNIL’s assertion that it has the authority to control the content that people can access outside France, and we plan to appeal their ruling.”

Karadzic verdict does little for those suffering say Australian Srebrenica survivors

Australian survivors and relatives of victims of the Bosnian War’s Srebrenica massacre have responded to Radovan Karadzic being found guilty of genocide in Srebrenica and of other war crimes during the war in the 1990s.

长沙夜网

Saidin Salkic was just 12-years-old and seeking refuge in Potocari, near Srebrenica, in eastern Bosnia.

He was there with his mother and sister, along with thousands of other Bosnian Muslims, in that fateful July of 1995.

His father had been killed earlier in the war.

Related reading

Mr Salkic, now grown up and living in Melbourne, says what the United Nations had declared a safe zone soon became anything but that.

“They’d taken me away from my family and put me on the side of the road with the people who never came back,” he said.

“And my mum started pulling me back… and, eventually, through a lot of hustle and bustle – they almost wanted to shoot us on the spot, but I suppose it was way too public… we got to get away.”

Bosnian Serb troops overran the enclave.

“One life sentence for so many lives lost would have been at least some symbolic justice.”

Although Mr Salkic’s life was spared, about 8,000 Muslim men and boys were rounded up and killed in Srebrenica over several days.

It has been described as one of the worst atrocities in Europe since World War II.

Mr Salkic says Radovan Karazdic’s conviction means little to the survivors and the families of the victims.

“This sentence they handed out, to be honest, means very little to me and those who have gone through what they’ve gone through – and through what they will be going [through] for the rest of their lives.”

Haroz Halilovich was not living in Srebrenica at the time of the mass killings. But he, like many others, lost family members and friends.

Mr Halilovich says he, too, does not think the sentence goes far enough.

“I wish, also, that the sentence of 40 years was a life sentence. Purely symbolically, it would have meant more, because he did directly order, or inspired or knew of, hundreds of thousands of deaths. So, one life sentence for so many lives lost would have been at least some symbolic justice.”

Mr Halilovich researches the impact the conflict has had on communities and in the diaspora at Melbourne’s RMIT University.

“In Saint Albans, here in Melbourne, almost every second Bosnian family is a fatherless family – you know, families where significant male family members, they’ve perished,” he said.

“There are mothers without sons, wives without husbands, children without fathers. And this is the reality of the Bosnian diaspora today, not only in Australia but in many countries.”

Related reading

International-law expert Gideon Boas, also in Melbourne, formerly assisted Karadzic’s defence.

Mr Boas says not everyone will welcome the guilty verdict, though.

“It’s always been felt by Serbs, including Bosnian Serbs, that the Yugoslav tribunal was set up to prosecute Serbs and a great deal more Serbs have been prosecuted than Muslims and Croats, and that’s a fact,” he said.

“On the other hand, they orchestrated a large number of crimes, and calling to account someone like Radovan Karadzic is crucial. It’s just as crucial as calling to account other leaders – Bosnian Croats and Bosnian Muslims. 

“There have been trials for those people as well, but it’s understandable that Bosnian Serbs who are here, or Serbs who are here, will feel as though this is just another example of the international community really going after the Serbs and ignoring their suffering. And I understand that.”

Saidan Salkic says the United Nations also failed the victims when it mattered most.

“It’s too late, nothing can heal the wounds. The wounds would have been healed if they had been prevented from happening by the people who were supposed to do it by law – by UN law.”